Every day there is more awareness about our emotions are linked to what we eat. When we are down, pure chocolate revitalizes us. A hot drink relaxes us and a toast of extra virgin olive oil soothes the discomfort of the stomach and makes us feel better. These are just some common examples of the direct relationship between food and our mood.
In addition, scientific studies confirm that the intestine acts as a second brain and that it can change our mood. If we analyze our digestive tract we discover that just below, where the food circulates, we have two neural that make up the nervous system or the second brain, explains Xevi Verdaguer, psychoneuroimmunologist and author of Transform Your Health (Ed. Grijalbo). This explains why diets can modify the intestinal manufacturing of neurotransmitters such as serotonin or dopamine and affect mood and behavior.
Food and emotions
Foods affect our mood but they do not do it in the same way. For example, some of them are a precursor of serotonin (neurotransmitter associated with happiness), which at low levels is related to depression and obsession. For more information, Aldonza Gourmet offers you a list of foods that you must include in your shopping to improve your well-being. We collect some interesting tips that are revealed to us on the web, The Daily Prosper.
1. Blue fish, such as salmon and tuna, provide vitamin D and play a key role in seasonal affective disorders, decreasing the typical sadness and autumn-winter “slumps”.
2. Dark chocolate is an excellent source of tryptophan. It has an effect that enhances happiness and a positive mood. In addition, bitter chocolate is also rich in phenylethylamine, a compound called “love drug” because it creates a sensation similar to that of being in love.
3. Kefir and yogurt are rich in probiotics and relieve symptoms of depression such as anxiety.
4. Cranberries, with great antioxidant content, are recommended along with other berries such as broccoli, cabbage and beetroot to reduce inflammation, discomfort that prevents enjoy a positive mood. Several studies describe that fruits of the forest improve the symptoms of dysphoria, depression and stress reduction.
5. Nuts, very rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, have a calming effect, help with concentration and provide a stabilizing power of mood. In addition to nuts, you will find interesting amounts of omegas in blue fish or extra virgin olive oil.
6. Vegetables, specifically onion, leek, garlic, carrot, beans, artichoke and beet, are delights of the garden rich in soluble fiber and resistant starch, properties that give them prebiotic characteristics. Several studies have demonstrated the anxiolytic properties of prebiotics.
7. Spinach and green leafy vegetables in general are very rich in folate, a vitamin B group associated with decreased risk of depression.
8. Pineapple is a very versatile exotic fruit, contained salads and pizza. It seems to favor the production of serotonin, which helps improve mood, reassure and provide more vitality. It also seems to help you fall asleep.
9. Oatmeal is a cereal rich in proteins that contains many antioxidants and vitamins. It has many benefits for both physical and emotional health too. Regarding the latter, it provides vitality, combats tiredness and low levels of energy.
10. It is just as important to fill your bag with natural enhancers of happiness as to avoid ingredients that impair emotional energy. We must avoid alcohol, refined sugars, sweeteners and processed food.
Feel good with a healthy diet
Our wellbeing is the basis to enjoy what surrounds us, that’s why health is the most important for Aldonza Gourmet. In our line of products, wine, extra virgin olive oil, saffron and cava, in addition to exhaustive quality controls, we are especially aware of the development of healthy products that provide health benefits. By consuming responsibly, our products help you feel better.
It also improves health, enjoy good times and share them with the people you care about. A glass of wine, surrounded by friends or family, improves the mood. We invite you to take it in our new facilities. Discover our wine tour in the heart of the land of Don Quixote.